By: Sharmeen Jamal
As we all know smoking is basically a gradual death, means it kills not only the smokers but everyone associated with the victim.
Smoking should be strictly banned as it not only affects the individual’s life but also the development of the country. We all know how injurious smoking is for health. And more than an active smoker it harms the passive smoker. Just think what happens when a pregnant woman becomes the victim of passive smoking. The infant with her becomes highly vulnerable to diseases even before coming into the world.
Anyone who claims to get pleasure or claims that smoking is enjoyable, I sincerely believe, we are afraid to face a future without them. This is what an addiction does, it creates a dependence which we feel will make life terrible once removed and creates a false security. We have all seen or experienced the anguish expressed, and how hard it was to when the bottle and security blanket was taken away. We were born to breathe fresh air and eat and drink to survive, we were not born to inhale toxins by choice and if we had the choice, no peer pressure or stimulants or ads to entice just plain choice all over again we would not voluntarily walk into the world of coughs, and cancers and throwing away looks and money to enslave ourselves to a slow death, giving up is hard but once over the fence, let’s be honest there is no going back unless not fully recovered from the addiction.
Maybe smokers are just part of a mass depopulation plan. After all, they’re slowly killing everyone around them, in public and in their own homes. Maybe it will always be this way. People that smoke have broken souls; they need therapy, to stop smoking.
They should ban smoking altogether. Allowed only in homes, or maybe a large green house can be constructed in every city where 100s of smokers can all go and speed up their inevitable demise. It would be great if the health organizations would reach out to smokers more to help them quit for good.
There are approximately 600 ingredients in cigarettes. And at least 66 chemicals of them are known to cause cancer; they are extremely poisonous.
Everyone knows that cigarette smoking is really harmful. But do you know what’s in the cigarette? Here are a few of the chemicals in tobacco smoke. These ingredients are enough to make you quit smoking:
- Ammonia: household cleaner
- Angelica Root Extract: It is known to cause cancer in animals
- Arsenic: it is used in insect poisons
- Benzene: it is used in making dyes, synthetic rubber, drugs, detergents, pesticides.
- Butane: it’s a gas; used in lighter fluid
- Carbon Monoxide: it is a poisonous gas
- Cadmium: it is an active component in battery acid
- Cyanide: it is deadly poison.
- DDT: a banned insecticide
- Ethyl Furoate: it causes liver damage in animals
- Lead: poisonous in high doses, and used in batteries
- Formaldehiyde: used to preserve dead specimens, embalming fluid.
- Methoprene: insecticide
- Megastigmatrienone: chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice
- Maltitol: sweetener for diabetics
- Naphthalene: ingredient in mothballs
- Nicotine: used as insecticide
- Methyl isocyanate: its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984
- Polonium: cancer-causing radioactive element
- Tar: material for paving roads
- Toluene: used to manufacture paint, and also used in nail polish remover, glues, and correction fluid.
- Death from diseases/ailments caused by smoking
- Diseases (even if they don’t cause death)
- Lung Cancer
- Throat Cancer
- Mouth Cancer
- Many other types of cancer have also been linked to tobacco use
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease COPD
- Bronchitis, pneumonia
- Decrease HDL level
- Blockage in vessels
- Oral /dental problems
- Decreased lung function
- Advanced signs of aging
- Cost of cigarettes, applicable taxes and paraphernalia such as lighters
- Decreased acceptance by non-smoking peers
- Smoking harms every organ in your body
- The lingering odor of smoke on body and clothing
- Disadvantages to your family
- Increases the risk of sudden infant death syndrome
- Lowered ability to exercise due to inability to breathe
- Cost of stop-smoking aids when the decision to quit is made
Most of the chemicals inhaled by a smoker stays in the lungs. The more you inhale it, the greater it damages your lungs. Actually chemicals in cigarettes are known to cause not only cancer but also other serious health problems which may lead you nowhere but death. Many of the chemicals are poisonous. And do you know, if a person would eat one pack of cigarettes, he/she would die.
So, In a nutshell, smoking affects the health and thus effects the development, power and youth of the country. So keeping all these aspects we think smoking should be strictly banned but we still leave it on our readers to decide should it be or not.
Opinions and views belong to the writer, and the writer alone.